The Employment Law Group
We are a national team of practical specialist employment lawyers who provide our clients with the highest-quality employment law and HR services. We guide you through and advise you on any employment-related procedures you need.
The charges set out below are for a private instruction only. When we are acting for you under your insurance policy, we will set out our charges in your engagement letter.
- £5,000-12,000 to defend an unfair dismissal claim to hearing
- £3,000-5,000 to defend a wrongful dismissal claim to hearing
- Our fees are calculated by reference to the hourly rate of the relevant case handlers and vary depending on the complexity of the matter
The complexity of the matter depends on factors such as:
- The number of complaints brought;
- The type of complaint brought. For instance, discrimination or whistleblowing claims often involve additional issues that require determination by the Employment Tribunal
- The amount of relevant documentary evidence
- Whether there is more than one claimant or respondent whose case is being considered by the Employment Tribunal at the same time
Our hourly rates are:
- Paralegal or trainee solicitor: £110 per hour
- Solicitor or legal executive: £150-180 per hour
- Partner: £250 per hour
- Typically, a one-day unfair dismissal claim requires 35 hours’ work for a solicitor and we would therefore charge £6,300
- Our charges above do not include VAT: this is payable in addition
These are expenses payable to other parties.
We are likely to instruct a barrister to represent you at the hearing. The cost of this varies depending on their experience. Typical fees for a one-day hearing are around £2,000 + VAT.
These fees must be paid in advance at least two weeks before the Employment Tribunal hearing.
The typical timescale for an Employment Tribunal claim is between six months and two years from receipt of the Claim Form.
A straightforward wages claim is likely to be concluded within six months of receiving the Claim Form but a complex discrimination claim, for instance, usually takes more than a year to conclude.
The key stages of the claim are as follows:
- You contact us, explaining you have received a claim from the Employment Tribunal and ask us to act
- We advise on the merits of the defence, likely compensation if the claim succeeds, strategy to defend, timescales and funding options, and we prepare and present a response to the claim
- Usually within one month of presenting the response: we approach the other side to explore settlement, if this is what you ask us to do
- If the claim doesn’t settle or you want to defend the claim: we review the claimant’s schedule of loss and give further advice on the value, exchange lists of documents, agree and prepare the bundle, prepare and exchange witness statements, and agree a list of issues
- Usually within six months of receiving the claim form (depending on the Employment Tribunal being used): the case is heard by the tribunal
People who carry out the work or supervise others carrying out the work
- David Leslie: partner and Employment Group Leader. He qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales in 2008.
- Jessica Baden-Daintree: partner, qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales in 1999.
- The team also includes solicitors qualified in Scotland and in England and Wales, a CILEX member, trained paralegals specialising in employment law, and trainee solicitors