Debt collection and enforcement
We offer a highly efficient debt collection and enforcement service, making use of our sophisticated case management system. Predominantly, the work we do is under contracts with commercial partners and our charges in those situations are determined by those contracts.
We also provide services to individual businesses and the charges set out below apply. Please contact us for more information and a discussion about your requirements.
Range of fixed fees for an undisputed business-to-business debt
These fees apply where your claim relates to an unpaid invoice that is not disputed and excludes enforcement action. If the other party disputes your claim at any point, we will discuss any further work required and, if necessary, provide you with revised advice about our fees, which could be for a fixed fee (e.g. if a one-off letter is required) or an hourly rate if more extensive work is needed.
|Debt value||Letter of Claim||Issuing proceedings||Court fee for issuing||Applying for judgment in default|
|£1-£10,000||£250 + VAT||£250 + VAT||Up to £455||£100 + VAT|
|£10,001-50,000||£350 + VAT||£350 + VAT||5% of the value of the debt||£200 +VAT|
|£50,001- 100,000||£450 + VAT||£550 + VAT||5% of the value of the debt||£300 +VAT|
Please note that:
- The VAT element of our fee cannot be reclaimed from your debtor
- Interest and compensation may take the debt into a higher banding, with a higher cost
- The fees quoted above are not for matters where enforcement action (e.g. bailiffs) is needed to collect your debt. We will provide you with details of our charges for this service if required
- Our hourly rates range from £166-£275 per hour + VAT, depending on the grade of case handler
Our fee for the Letter of Claim stage includes:
- Taking your instructions and reviewing documentation
- Undertaking appropriate searches, e.g. insolvency searches (excluding Land Registry searches, which incur a fee) etc
- Sending a letter of claim
- Receiving payment and sending it to you
If the debt is not paid, the claim will proceed to the next stage of issuing proceedings and our fee for this stage includes:
- Drafting and issuing the claim at court
If no Acknowledgment of Service or defence is received, the claim will proceed to the next stage of applying for judgment in default and our fee for this stage includes:
- Making the application to court
- Writing to the other side to request payment when judgment in default is received
- Providing you with advice on next steps and likely costs, if payment is not received within 14 days
It can take between one week and six months to resolve matters, depending on, for instance, whether or when the debtor responds and the speed at which the courts deal with the case, if it is necessary to issue court proceedings. If your entitlement to be paid is disputed or steps are needed to enforce payment of any judgment, it could take longer to resolve.
The work will be carried out by legally trained paralegals, members of the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives or qualified solicitors, depending on the value and complexity of the work. All members of the team are supervised by qualified solicitors; Jonathan Calverley, a partner with more than 20 years’ experience of civil litigation, has overall responsibility.