Spinal Cord Injuries Awareness Day 2018
Spinal Cord Injuries Awareness Day is an annual event that, this year, will take place on 18th May 2018.
On this day the Spinal Injuries Association (SIA), and other spinal injury charities, work together to improve, both understanding and awareness of people suffering with spinal cord injuries, which often has life changing consequences.
Spinal cord injuries can lead to loss of muscle function and sensation causing a huge impact on daily lives. Many spinal cord injuries lead to paralysis.
In the majority of cases the damage results from physical trauma such as road traffic accidents, falls, or sports injuries, but it can also result from non-traumatic causes such as infection, insufficient blood flow, and tumors. Falls (41.7%) and RTAs (36.8%) account for 78.5% of spinal cord injuries in the UK.
- Every day 3 people are told they will never walk again
- There are over 40,000 people in the UK living with spinal injuries
- Over 2.5 million people worldwide have a spinal cord injury
The most affected demographic are young men, between the ages of 20 and 30.
The charities offer various services such as offering support and assistance from the time of the injury and for the rest of the injured person’s life with the intention of improving the injured person’s quality of life. They also:
- Support the families of the injured person
- Increase knowledge and awareness of the causes and consequences of spinal cord injury
- Campaign for the best possible medical and social care for people who have suffered injury
Lyons Davidson are proud Gold Corporate Members of the Spinal Injuries Association (SIA). For more information about any of the issues raised in this article or for more information about making a claim for a spinal cord injury, contact Lyons Davidson’s Catastrophic Injury team by contacting Laura Merry by email email@example.com or calling 0117 904 5718.
Posted on May 18th, 2018 by Lyons Davidson