We believe that our background, attitude and knowledge of the relevant regulatory issues provide us with credibility that others lack. This is demonstrated by our achieving the International ISO 14001 Environmental Management Standard. In 2005, we were the first law company in the UK to obtain this award and the Regulatory team led the group that achieved it.
In today’s regulatory climate, environmental legislative compliance is of increasing relevance, not only to multinational organisations but also to small or medium-sized enterprises. The benefits of environmental sustainability and improving environmental performance can enhance corporate image, reduce running costs and even lead to new and innovative business opportunities.
It is also an issue that is important to many of our individual customers, who want to work with businesses that treat these issues seriously.
ISO 14001:2015 certification
Our ISO 14001 Environmental Management System is encapsulated in our Environmental Policy. The EMS covers each of our offices, all of our employees and is managed by our in-house EMS Coordinator. Every year, we prepare an Environmental Management Programme, which consists of objectives and targets that focus our efforts on addressing the areas where we have the most impact and can successfully drive the most improvement.
We are very proud of what we have achieved so far; below is a selection of the initiatives we have rolled out so far:
- Paperless working: We developed a sophisticated client-management system to support our goal of becoming paperless. It enables us to manage cases efficiently, without the need for large, paper-based files, to communicate electronically and securely with our clients and to produce electronic paginated court bundles easily
- Waste management: We removed all personal waste bins and introduced a comprehensive recycling and landfill programme in all our offices. We have carefully selected waste contractors to ensure the majority of our waste, including our WEEE, is recycled and or re-used
- Energy management: We converted all of our IT equipment to some of the most energy efficient. We have installed motion-sensor operated lights and taps, and intelligent building management systems in nearly every office
- Carbon reduction: Every office has both tele- and video-conferencing facilities; these are used between offices and with clients, greatly reducing business-related travel
- Sustainable employee commuting: Every employee has access to the Cycle to Work Scheme and public transport season passes. We introduced a Car Share Scheme (JoinMyJourney) to reduce the number of single-occupancy vehicle journeys made and increase the number of cyclists and walkers. We also have excellent facilities for cyclists, walkers and runners in nearly all our offices, including showers, secure bike lock-ups and a bike-maintenance service
- Employee engagement: We have a vibrant employee engagement programme that sees us run annual Green Weeks, Fairtrade Fortnights, Walk to Work Weeks and Litter Picking activities. Each initiative and campaign engages employees and cultivates environmentally responsible behaviour
- Green Leaders Programme: our active Green Leaders are committed volunteers who support the EMS Coordinator in delivering campaigns and projects across the company
- Award winning: We are immensely proud of the collection of awards we have amassed. In 2013, we secured gold accreditation for our Workplace Travel Plan. In 2014, we won silver and in 2015 ‘gold’ and ‘best office’ at the South West Fairtrade Business Awards. In 2017, 2018 and 2019 we were declared Best Fairtrade Business/office at the South West Fairtrade Business Awards
Environmental Management Programme
Our 2020 Environmental Management Programme objectives push us to reduce our environmental impact even further:
- To manage our resource consumption effectively and responsibly across the company
- To ensure the company as a whole moves towards paperless working
- To reduce the environmental impact associated with our business-related travel and commuting
- To create a sustainable supply chain up and downstream and to consider a life cycle perspective
- To develop an engagement programme that supports the embedding of ISO 14001 across the company
Sustainability is key at Lyons Davidson: we are committed to carrying out business in a way that is driven by socially responsible values. This commitment brings together different principles relating to the way we do our work, including:
- Investing in our staff
- Ensuring the security and integrity of client information
- Equality of opportunity and diversity throughout the business
- How we work with clients and suppliers
- Aiming to minimise the impact our work has on the environment
- Supporting fair trade goods and services
- Raising money for charity
- Working harmoniously in the communities of which our offices are part
Our policy sets out the way in which the company aims to limit any adverse impact caused by its activities.
"My case handler secured the withdrawal of a ‘Contentious Probate’ claim. It took a considerable amount of time and it became increasingly difficult and extremely successful. I cannot express how much I appreciate all their help, diligence and doing a really professional job. Thank you Lyons Davidson for all your hard work, professionalism and sensible approach to ending this extremely trying time."